- Curriculum Vitae
- Office hour
- Third mission
Researcher and Lecturer – University of Parma, Italy 1999-Present
- Associate Professor specialised in the analysis of supramolecular complexes and coordination compounds with the aim of studying molecular recognition phenomena and elucidating structure-function correlations and topology through single crystal X-ray diffraction techniques and computational methods.
- Co-author of over 140 scientific papers published in international peer-reviewed journals. h-index: 34 (Scopus).
- Lecturer for the Engineering Departments of the same University
Education and Training
Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Parma, Italy 1997-2001
Dept. of Chemistry, Prof. Dr. A. Tiripicchio
Title: “Synthesis and structural characterisation of transition metal selenido-carbonyl clusters”
M. Sc. (cum laude) in Inorganic Chemistry, University of Parma, Italy 1992-1997
Dept. of Chemistry, Prof. Dr. A. Tiripicchio
Title: “Cluster e colloidi. Sintesi di derivati metallici fosfino-selenurici mono- e polinucleari e produzione di nanoparticelle di oro incapsulate in matrici sol-gel.”
Visiting scientist – University of Marburg, Germany October 2002-March 2003
Department of Chemistry – Prof. Dr. Frenking
- Research visit financed by a scholarship of the German academic exchange organization DAAD (Deutscher Akademische Austausch Dienst, http://www.daad.de/de/index.html) aimed at acquiring initial experience in the field of computational chemistry
- Project: DFT (Density Functional Theory) analysis of the chemical bond in metal complexes of palladium, platinum, and nickel with ethene and ethyne. Study of metal-ligand bonding in complexes using the energy-partitioning analysis (EPA) of the ADF software package, based on the EDA method of Morokuma et al. and the ETS partitioning scheme of Ziegler et al.
Scientific Stage (8 months), Université L. Pasteur, Strasbourg, France Sept. –Dec. 1997
Coordination Chemistry Laboratory, Prof. Dr. P. Braunstein Mar.-Jun. 1999
Subject: “Synthesis of new transition-metal selenido clusters”
-Prize for the best Ph.D thesis in Inorganic Chemistry of the Italian Chemistry Society in 2001.
- Referee for several international journals (CrystEngComm, ICA, Inorg. Chem., RSC Advances, Dalton Transactions, Chemm Commun ., etc.)
- Member of INSTM (Consorzio Interuniversitario Nazionale per la Scienza e la Tecnologia dei Materiali), a consortium for Material Science and Technology
- Professional translation of scientific patents from English to Italian in the years 2005-2006.
- Translation of chapters 24/25 and Appendices of the book “Brown/Lemay – Chemistry 10th Ed”, ed. EdiSES from English to Italian
Language skills: Italian (native), English (fluent), French (good), German (good)
National and international conferences and crystallography schools
- 6th FIGIPS meeting in Inorganic Chemistry, Barcellona, Spain 15-20 July 2001. Reactivity of [HMCo3(CO)12] (M = Fe or Ru) towards phosphine selenides. Synthesis and crystal structures of new selenido-carbonyl bimetallic clusters".
- XL Congress of the Italian Crystallography Association (AIC), Siena, 19-22 September 2011. Keynote “Diagnostic with cavitands”
- Workshop “Past, Present and Future of Crystallography@Politecnico di Milano”, Milan, 6-7 June 2013. Keynote entitled “Crystallography and Supramolecular Sensing”
- ECM28 (28th European Crystallographic Meeting), Warwick, UK, 25-29 August 2013. Keynote “Solid state molecular recognition for supramolecular sensing”
- ECM29 (29th European Crystallographic Meeting), Rovinj, Croatia, 23-28 August 2015. Keynote “Tailoring host-guest interactions for sensing with cavitands”
- Member of the organizing committee of the International AIC School 2015 (Bologna, 5-8 September)
- ECM30 (30th European Crystallographic Meeting), Basel, Switzerland, 28 August-1 September 2016. Chair of MS 34 "Molecular recognition, supramolecular chemistry and crystal engineering"
- Promoter of the International AIC School 2016 (Rimini, 7-11 September)
- Promoter of the International AIC School 2017 (Pavia, 3-6 September)
- 3rd Joint AIC-SILS Conference, Roma, 25-28 June 2018. Chair of MS2 “Inorganic & Organic Functional Materials”.
- Member of the scientific committee of ECM31 (31 European Crystallography Meeting, Oviedo, Spain , 22-27 August 2018) and chair of MS47: "How to take your next steps in Crystallography"
- ECM31: Keynote for MS48 "Education in Crystallography" and for MS32 “Molecular Recognition and Crystal Engineering”
- Promoter of the International AIC School 2018 (Bari, 29 August – 2 September)
- Promoter and teacher of the International AIC School 2019 (Napoles, 29 Agugust - 3 sSeptember)
- Promoter and chair of the scientific committe of the International AIC School 2020 (Parma, 10-14 September).
- Co-chair for microsymposium MS100 “Stimuli-responsive crystalline materials" at the XXV IUCr Congress (Prague, 22-30 August 2021).
- Member of the organising committee for the XLIX Italian Crystallographic Conference AIC2021 (Parma, 14-17 September 2021). Chair of the microsymposium MS9: “Cristallografia, comunicazione scientifica e società”
- Lecturer for ECS6 (European Crystallography School 6, Budapest July 2021) and for 2022 X-TechLab training session (21 November- 2 December 2022).
- Chair of the microsymposium MS46: “Reproducibility in crystallography” of ECM33 (33 European Crystallography Meeting), Versailles, 23-27 August 2022.
Tutoring for students: by appointment only
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2023/2024
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2022/2023
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2021/2022
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2020/2021
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2019/2020
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2018/2019
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2017/2018
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2016/2017
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2015/2016
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2014/2015
- First cycle degree (DM 270) CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING A.Y. 2023/2024
- First cycle degree (DM 270) CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING A.Y. 2022/2023
- MATERIALS SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY A.Y. 2022/2023
- First cycle degree (DM 270) CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING A.Y. 2021/2022
- SCIENZA E TECNOLOGIA DEI MATERIALI A.Y. 2021/2022
- First cycle degree (DM 270) CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING A.Y. 2020/2021
- SCIENZA E TECNOLOGIA DEI MATERIALI A.Y. 2020/2021
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2018/2019
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2016/2017
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2015/2016
Member of the teaching commission of AIC for the years 2015-2017 and 2018-2020.
Member of the board of AIC for the years 2021-2023.
Promoter and vice-chair of GIG3, General Interest Group on Education in Crystallography within ECA (http://ecanews.org/mwp/groups/gig-03-education-in-crystallography/).
Member of the “Commissione per la partecipazione del CNR all’International Union of Crystallography” for the period 2023-2026.
Section Editor for Acta Crystallographica Section E - http://journals.iucr.org/e/services/editors.html
Lines of research
Year: 2023Author/s: Pedrini Alessandro, Marchetti Danilo, Pinalli Roberta, Massera Chiara
3D electron diffraction analysis of a novel, mechanochemically synthesized supramolecular organic framework based on tetrakis-4-(4-pyridyl)phenylmethaneYear: 2023Author/s: Marchetti Danilo, Pedrini Alessandro, Massera Chiara, Faye Diame Moussa, Jandl Christian, Steinfeld and Mauro Gemmi Gunther
A novel multiwalled carbon nanotubes – cyclodextrin nanocomposite for the Solid-Phase Microextraction–Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in snow samplesYear: 2023Author/s: Riboni N., Bianchi F., Scaccaglia M., Bisceglie F., Secchi A., Massera C., Luches P., Careri M.
Structural elucidation of a Mn(III) derivative anchored with a tetradentate Schiff base precursor: in vitro cytotoxicity studyYear: 2023Author/s: Das K., Shetty M. G., Melanthota S. K., Sundara B. K., Kar S., Massera C., Garribba E., Datta A., Mazumder N.
Year: 2023Author/s: Massera Chiara, Helliwell John R.
Co-inventor - European Patent EP 2924041 A1
Seminars for schools, experimental activities for the general public, organization of exhibitions on crystallography.
Course MOOC "A-B-Chimica"- "A-B-C-himica" is the first Chemistry MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) produced by the University of Parma, available on EDUOPEN since the 4th of March 2019. https://learn.eduopen.org/course/view.php?id=307
Contact person of PROGETTO IDEA for the courses of chemistry- https://smfi.unipr.it/it/progetto-idea
Department of Chemistry, Life Sciences and Environmental Sustainability, University of Parma, Parco area delle scienze 17/A, 43123 - Parma, Italy