- Curriculum Vitae
Born in 1977 he degreed in Civil Engineering at the University of Parma in 2002 (110/110 magna cum laude). Ph.D. in Civil Engineering at the University of Parma in 2006 with a thesis on automatic algorithms in close-range photogrammetry (best Ph.D. Italian thesis - Autec Price 2006).
After his PhD completion he has been employed continuously in a research active environment.
- In 2006 he was awarded a 4 year competitive research post-doctoral position at the University of Parma (Italy).
- In 2006 he spent three months at the University of Florida (UF) as visiting scholar.
- In 2008 he was founder and CEO of an Accademic Spin-off (GeoDigital Solutions – a company involved in developing innovative surveying approaches and equipment (mostly software solutions)).
- In 2008 he has been employed as a full-time Assistant Professor at the University of Parma.
- From 2011 to 2015 he was awarded, as Chief Investigator, a MIUR-FIRB competitive research grant (“Subpixel techniques for matching, image registration and change detection with applications to civil and environmental engineering” from the Italian Ministry of University and Research - 478K € funding).
- Since October 2014 he has been employed as Associate Professor at the University of Parma.
- In 2017 he qualified as full professor - National Scientific Qualification (Italian Ministry of Education).
The quality of Prof. Roncella research is evidenced by a strong publication output in top tier journals on the field and the dissemination of his research outcomes to a significant number of international and national conferences. He author/co-authored 129 works career total, including 64 journal papers, 8 scientific book chapters and 52 conference papers
Citation counts are the following (March, 2018):
Scopus: 56 documents, 563 citations, H-index=14
Web of Knowledge: 47 documents, 343 citations, H-index=11
Google scholar: 99 documents, 936 citations, H-index=18, i10-index=32
In the last three years he published in top ranking International journals (http://www.scimagojr.com/) in the field of engineering and remote sensing: ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing SJR2016 =2.815, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering SJR2016 =2.059, Remote Sensing SJR2016 =1.310, Planetary and Space Science SJR2016 =1.248, and Sensors SJR2016 =0.576.
Several of his recently published papers have been highly cited. As example, considering some of the papers relevant for this project and their performances in terms of Field-Weighted Citation Impact (FWCI) and Citation Benchmarking (CB):
• Testing accuracy and repeatability of UAV blocks oriented with gnss-supported aerial triangulation (2017) FWCI: 10.03; CB: 93th percentile
• Unmanned Aerial Systems and DSM matching for rock glacier monitoring (2017). FWCI: 7.08; CB: 93th percentile
• Use of UAS in a high mountain landscape: The case of Gran Sommetta rock glacier (AO) (2015) FWCI: 3.9; CB: 95th percentile
• A comparison of semiglobal and local dense matching algorithms for surface reconstruction. (2014) FWCI: 10.35; CB: 99th percentile
• Rock slopes risk assessment based on advanced geostructural survey techniques (2011). FWCI: 4.67; CB: 90th percentile
• Advanced geostructural survey methods applied to rock mass characterization. (2009). FWCI: 4.22; CB: 99th percentile
Description of current role:
He currently holds a professorship position, with approximate time commitment over the last 10 years as follows: 15 % teaching, 10 % grant/report writing, 15 % student/post doc supervision, 30 % research, 10 % research project supervision, 20 % administrative.
- Since 2018 he is acting as Dean of the Environmental and Land Management Engineering Master Course (University of Parma).
- Between 2008 to 2012, he was member of the Department research committee.
- From 2012 to 2017 he was member of the Department Council.
- Since 2010 he is member of the Civil Engineering PhD board of the University of Parma.
- Since 2010 he is actively involved in incoming and outcoming student committees.
Mentoring and research facilities:
After obtaining the professorship position, he supervised and mentored several MEngSci students (more than 25) and PhD students (Cristina Re (PhD), Giorgia Bianchi (PhD), Elisa Dall’Asta (PhD), Marina Santise (PhD), Nazarena Bruno (PhD), Matteo Fornari (PhD student), Fabrizio Rechichi (PhD Student)).
After the completion of his PhD he has been working closely with several research groups for over 12 years: the Politecnico di Milano (Prof. Pinto, Dr. Barazzetti, Prof. Brumana), the University of Florida (Prof. Roque, Prof. Birgisson), University College London – UCL (Prof. Robson, Dr. Hess), TU Delft (Prof. Nardinocchi), the University of Newcastle (Prof. Buzzi, A/Prof Giacomini, Dr. Thoeni), INAF – Astronomical Observatory of Padova (Dr. Cremonese, Prof. Naletto), Tonji University (Prof. Scaioni).
Prizes and Awards:
2002 – Cavallieri del Lavoro Prize
2006 – Autec Prize – Best Italian ICAR06 PhD Thesis (B6)
Recent Invited Lectures:
2016 – Invited Plenary Keynote: XX Convegno Nazionale ASITA 2016 – Geomatics application for risk assessment in high mountain
2014 – Invited Keynote: Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei - Where is photogrammetry heading to? State of the art and trends
2014 – Invited Lecture: UEE Grenoble–“Les principes de la mesure du relief: PHOTOGRAMMÉTRIE”
2014/13/12 -Seminar: Univ. of Parma, Politecnico di Milano, FBK-Subpixel techniques for matching, image registration and change detection with applications to civil and environmental engineering. (Scientific Organizer)
2013 – Invited keynote: Parma Smart City - CAT-MED - Platform for Sustainable Models 2013 – Seminar: Univ. of Parma - Photogrammetric Survey, Remote Sensing and Cartography: a company’s point of view on new tendency and prospective. (Scientific Org.)
2013 –Invited Lecture: City of Fidenza -Innovative Surveying methods for Environment protection.
2013 –Invited Lecture: Rilem Technical Committee (RTC)-DIC Systems: a brief review of image matching techniques and their benefits and limitations
2012 –Invited Lecture: CGMM –Univ. of Newcastle-Photogrammetry applied to geotechnical applications.
2012 –Invited Lecture: Rilem Technical Committee 241-MCD -Digital image correlation techniques and their applications in displacement measurement and strain analyses in cracking phenomena
2011 –Seminar: Univ. of Parma, Politecnico di Milano, FBK–3D model generation: Techniques and applications. (Scientific Org.)
2007 –Invited Lecture: Politecnico di Milano -Close Range Matching Algorithms
2007 –Invited Lecture: Delft University-Automatic matching algorithms
2007 –Invited Lecture: Politecnico di Milano –Single Image projective geometry
- ARC Linkage project 2016 LP160100370 - A new framework for a cost-effective geohazard assessment. (PI – 275K AUD (ca. 192K €))
- EU POR FESR 2016 - AgroAlimentare Idrointelligente ALADIN. Nuova piattaforma tecnologica multisensoriale da utilizzare nell’irrigazione a rateo variabile (Part. – 1. 4M €)
- CariParma Art Network – Percorsi multimediali innovativi per la valorizzazione del Museo Archeologico Nazionale. (Sole CI – 48K €)
- MIUR-FIRB 2010: Subpixel techniques for matching, image registration and change detection with applications to civil and environmental engineering. (sole CI – 478K €)
- Spinner Project - Innovative 3D Modeling (Sole CI – 10K €).
- Prin 2007: Tecniche avanzate di rilievo geostrutturale dedicate all’analisi delle condizioni di stabilità degli amassi rocciosi. (Part.)
- Interreg IIIB - ClimChAlp Alpine Space “Slope Monitoring Methods”. (Part.)
- Analysis and Diagnosis of the Damaged structures of the Citadel of Damascus – Ministero degli Esteri and Sirian Government. (Part.)
- Interreg IIIA ‘Développement d’outils méthodologiques pour la détection et l’étude de la propagation des éboulements de masse – ROCKSLIDETEC’. (Part.)
- Regional Programme for Industrial Research, Innovation and Technological Transfer – VARSIS (Part.)
- Cofin2004: Applicazioni delle reti di stazioni permanenti GPS al catasto strade, all’aggiornamento della cartografia e al monitoraggio di strutture. (Part.)
- Cofin2002: I sistemi inerziali integrati di posizionamento nella fotogrammetria aerea. (Part.)
He developed several software widely used in industry and academia:
- EyeDEA: Structure from Motion software to perform automatic image block orientation and subsequent bundle adjustment. Tested by Univ. of Parma and Politecnico di Milano. Developed and distributed by GeoDigital Solutions S.r.l. – Univ. of Parma Spin-off.
- RockScan: Software for rock slopes stability analysis through the identification of discontinuities from photogrammetric or Laser Scanning surveys. Tested by Univ. of Parma, Politecnico di Milano, Univ. Statale di Torino, Univ. Statale di Milano, Politecnico di Torino. Developed and distributed by GeoDigital Solutions S.r.l.
- DICe: Digital Image Correlation software to perform strain field evaluation in load tests by means of photogrammetric acquisitions. Tested by Univ. of Parma, Politecnico di Milano and Univ. of Florida.
- DenseMatcher: Area Based Image Matching Software package that can be applied to several application fields (e.g. DSM production, displacement evaluation, etc.). The software uses state-of-art matching algorithms based on both Local and SemiGlobal proprietary matching algorithms. Tested by Univ. of Parma, INAF – Astronomical Observatory of Padua, UCL and Tonji Univ.
He is acting as a reviewer for a wide range of leading journals including ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Photogrammetric Record, Géotechnique Letters, Engineering Computations, European Journal of Remote Sensing, International Journal of Remote Sensing, ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, Sensor, Road Material and Pavement Design, Remote Sensing, ISPRS Annals and Applied Geomatics, Applied Sciences, Construction and Building Materials, Measurement. He was also reviewer for the Austrian Science Fund.
Completion accademic year: 2019/2020
Completion accademic year: 2018/2019
Completion accademic year: 2017/2018
Completion accademic year: 2016/2017
Completion accademic year: 2015/2016
- Second cycle degree ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2020/2021
- Second cycle degree ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2019/2020
- Second cycle degree ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2018/2019
- Second cycle degree ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2017/2018
- Second cycle degree ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2016/2017
- Second cycle degree ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2015/2016
- Second cycle degree ENVIRONMENTAL AND LAND MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2014/2015
Geometrical non-linearities in the anticlastic bending of plates: an experimental and numerical studyYear: 2019Author/s: Andrea SPAGNOLI, Roberto BRIGHENTI, BIANCOSPINO, MARCO, Marco ROSSI, Riccardo RONCELLA
Year: 2019Author/s: Bruno N., Roncella R.
Year: 2019Author/s: Bruno N., Coisson E., Diotri F., Ferrari L., Mikolajewska S., MORRA DI CELLA, UMBERTO, Roncella R., Zerbi A.
Year: 2019Author/s: Forlani G., Diotri F., di Cella U. M., Roncella R.
Year: 2019Author/s: Gianfranco Forlani, Paolo Giandebiaggi, Riccardo Roncella, Chiara Vernizzi, Andrea Zerbi