- Curriculum Vitae
I graduated in Civil Engineering in 2003 from the University of Parma (110/100 “e lode” magna cum laude). Then, I got the PhD in Civil Engineering in 2010 at the University of Parma, discussing a thesis on Lagrangian meshless numerical methods for rapidly varying free surface flows. I am now appointed as Assistant Professor (RTDb) at the same university. Recently, I received the full professor (professore di prima fascia) scientific qualification (Abilitazione scientifica nazionale).
My research is focused on challenging problems of developing numerical modeling for flood risk management using both Shallow Water and Navier – Stokes equations. The research on meshless Lagrangian methods has led me to become a developer of the open-source codes SPHysics and DualSPHysics (dual.sphysics.org) and a member of the SPHERIC Steering Committee (https://www.spheric-sph.org/, the international organisation representing the community of researchers and industrial users of Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics).
35 Indexed papers, h-index: 14, 1048 citations (Scopus, December 2020)
– UK Meshless Methods network conference “Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) – Grand Challenges and State-of-the-art for Industrial applications” Manchester (UK), 10 October 2013.
– Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 716, University of Stuttgart, 23 April 2015.
– First DualSPHysics workshop, Manchester (UK), 8-9 September 2015.
– Second DualSPHysics workshop, Manchester (UK), 6-7 December 2016.
– Areonautics Seminar Series Imperial College, London (UK), 11-13 July 2017.
– Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) continuing professional development course, Manchester (UK), 11 April 2018.
– SPHERIC Global seminars (https://www.spheric-sph.org/global-seminars), March 2020 – Online.
Main Research Projects
- Andritz-SPH: Principal Investigator of the Research Project: “Development of an algorithm to control particles distribution in Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics simulations”. 3 years (2018 – 2021), 102.000 €. Supervison of a PhD Student.
- PARFLOOD: Principal Investigator of the Research Project: "FLOOD risk management based on PARallel numerical simulations", ID RBSI14R1GP, funded by the SIR (Scientific Independence of young Researchers) programme by Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR), year 2014. 3 years, 383.023 €, Supervision of 1 PhD Student (XXXII Cycle) and 1 Post Doc (1 year).
- RESILIENCE: Co PI of the research project “REsearches on Scenarios of Inundation of Lowlands Induced by EmbaNkment Collapses in Emilia-Romagna” funded by the Italian Civil Protection Agency. 5 years (2015 – 2020) 250'000 €.
Supervison of a Post-doc for 2 years.
- AFFORD: Principal Investigator for the project AFFORD - Automatically adaptive SPH scheme For FlOod Risk reduction. Funded by Università di Parma (5'000 €), years 2017 – 2018.
- PGRA: Principal investigator of the Scientific Research for the assessment of the flood hazard in the Po river basin. Funded by the Po Basin River Autority (AdBPo, https://adbpo.gov.it/), In collaboration with Politecnico di Milano, Politecnico di Torino, Università di Bologna, Università di Padova, Università di Pavia, Università di Brescia, 1’100’0000 €. years 2019 – 2021.
Main Scientific Achievements
- Appointed as SIR (Scientific Independence of young Researchers) Research Fellow, year 2014.
- Member of the SPHERIC (SPH European Research Interest Community http://www.spheric-sph.org) Steering Committee.
- SPHERIC newsletter editor (since 2017)
- Guest Editor of the Issue "Theoretical, numerical and computational advances of the SPH method for solving fluid problems", (https://www.journals.elsevier.com/computers-and-fluids/call-for-papers/virtual-special-issue-on-theoretical-numerical-and-computati) on Computer & Fluids.
- Member of the academic board of the PhD school on Civil Engineering and Architecture of University of Parma (since 2016).
- Visiting researchers at University of Manchester (school of MACE), several periods, since 2010.
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2021/2022
- Course year: 2 - First cycle degree (DM 270) - CONSTRUCTIONS, INFRASTRUCTURES AND TERRITORIAL MANAGEMENT - A.Y.: 2021/2022
- Course year: 2 - Second cycle degree - CIVIL ENGINEERING - A.Y.: 2020/2021
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2020/2021
- Course year: 2 - Second cycle degree - CIVIL ENGINEERING - A.Y.: 2019/2020
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2019/2020
- Course year: 2 - Second cycle degree - CIVIL ENGINEERING - A.Y.: 2018/2019
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2018/2019
- Course year: 2 - Second cycle degree - CIVIL ENGINEERING - A.Y.: 2017/2018
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2017/2018
- Course year: 2 - Second cycle degree - INGEGNERIA CIVILE - A.Y.: 2016/2017
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2016/2017
- Course year: 3 - First cycle degree (DM 270) - CIVIL AND ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING - A.Y.: 2014/2015
Year: 2020Author/s: VACONDIO, Renato
Year: 2020Author/s: VACONDIO, Renato
Internal boundary conditions for a GPU-accelerated 2D shallow water model: Implementation and applicationsYear: 2020Author/s: DAZZI, Susanna, VACONDIO, Renato, MIGNOSA, Paolo
Enhancing the resilience to flooding induced by levee breaches in lowland areas: A methodology based on numerical modellingYear: 2020Author/s: FERRARI, ALESSIA, DAZZI, Susanna, VACONDIO, Renato, MIGNOSA, Paolo
A second-order numerical scheme for the porous shallow water equations based on a DOT ADER augmented Riemann solverYear: 2020Author/s: FERRARI, ALESSIA, VACONDIO, Renato, MIGNOSA, Paolo
Parco Area delle Scienze, 181/A