- Curriculum Vitae
Luca Romoli (born in Pisa, 14th October 1977) received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering with a dissertation entitled “Advanced monitoring methods and control of production processes” at the University of Pisa (Italy) in 2010 after completing a M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering cum laude in 2005 from the same University. Luca was granted a post-Doc Fellowship at the University of Pisa for two years from 2010 to 2011.
Luca went on to become Assistant Professor RTda in ‘Technology and Manufacturing Systems’ at the University of Pisa from 2012 to 2013, then Assistant Professor (with tenure track) RTDb in ‘Technology and Manufacturing Systems’ at the University of Parma from 2014 to 2016.
Luca is currently Associate Professor in ‘Technology and Manufacturing Systems 09 B1 ING-IND16’ at the University of Parma.
Brief description of research activities
While completing his PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Prof. Romoli’s research activities focused on tool condition monitoring and material removal. In 2010, he began working on innovative production processes as part of a collaboration with Continental Automotive Italy aimed at investigating laser sources for welding and micromachining of stainless steel.
Within this field, Prof. Romoli’s main scientific interests included laser welding of stainless steel with specific focus on microstructural changes in metals and process modelling to correlate welding parameters with melt pool geometry. A second important research theme was microdrilling of fuel nozzles by Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM). Luca dedicated much effort too optimising the microhole taper and its internal roughness without increasing drilling time. As an alternative to EDM, ultrashort pulsed laser ablation was also investigated. Prof. Romoli carried out a comparative analysis by using laser sources with different wavelengths and pulse durations. An attempt to create a hybrid technique, conveying a laser beam into a water jet of a few micrometers in diameter, was also performed. As part of these activities, Prof. Romoli enhanced his his experience in the field of metrology of micro-shaped objects and measurement of surface patterns up to the nanoscale by Coherent Correlation Interferometry and Scanning Probe Microscopy techniques.
Scientific expertise related to the Proposal
Prof. Romoli’s current field of research is dedicated to surface modification of metals and polymers via ultrashort laser pulses, together with measurement of the obtained textured structures down to the nanoscale. Prof. Romoli was recently appointed, by the EU commission, coordinator of a research project focused on the generation of Laser Induced Periodic Surfaces Structures (LIPSS) on stainless steel components for the agri-food industry. Within the activities of this project, Prof. Romoli and his group gained an international reputation in designing surfaces with specific functionalities such as hydrophobicity, asepticity and low-friction.
Participation in research projects
Prof. Romoli is Principal Investigator of H2020-ICT-2015 TRES-CLEAN (High throughput laser texturing of self-cleaning and antibacterial surfaces). The project is described in the following sections.
Prof. Romoli has participated in the following national and international research projects evaluated by peer-review:
- Progetto PRIN 2005 ISMAP “Tool condition monitoring system for tool wear and machining quality inspection in the drilling of fiber reinforced plastics”. Lead beneficiary: Università di Pisa.
- EU project SENARIO “Advanced Sensors and novel concepts for intelligent and reliable processing in bonded repairs” Call: FP6-2005-AERO-1. Lead beneficiary: Laser Zentrum Hannover (LZH).
- EU project PLASER “Portable Laser for scarf repair of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics” Call: ICT-2005-PHOTONICS-02. Lead beneficiary: Laser Zentrum Hannover (LZH).
- EU project FLEXA “Advanced Flexible Automation cell” Call identifier FP7-AAT- 2007- RTD-1. Lead beneficiary: Università di Pisa.
Teaching assignments and research fellowships in international institutions
- Invited Professor at SUST Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (Bangladesh) to hold a 30-hour course entitled "Industrial applications of laser technologies”.
- ‘Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter’ (research Fellow) at Laser Zentrum Hannover (LZH) from May to December 2009. The main goal of the research was analysis of UV laser ablation of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymers for aerospace applications.
- ‘Agrégé de Recherche’ (research Fellow) at Université de Bordeaux1 and CELIA (Centre Lasers Intenses et Applications belonging to CNRS Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) from June to July 2012. The scientific activity involved microdrilling of stainless steel nozzles using femtosecond laser sources.
- Invited Researcher at Technische Universität Braunschweig Germany. The dissemination activity carried out in March 2012 was focused on a comparative analysis between different drilling techniques for Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics. A final seminar entitled “The drilling process of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics: a comparison between conventional technologies and laser-based processes” was the outcome of this research activity.
Relations with the scientific community
Within the context of the scientific activities described above, Prof. Romoli has personally given speeches and invited talks at International and National Conferences.
As an Associate Member of the International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP), Prof. Romoli has an active role in Scientific Technical Committees on Electro-physical and chemical processes, Surfaces, Precision Engineering and Metrology.
He has been a member of the European LIPSS community since 2014 and is currently a member of Photonics21, the Photonics Public Private Partnership of the EC. In terms of national relations, Prof. Romoli is a Member of the Italian Association for Manufacturing and Technology (AITeM).
Further to dissemination and collaboration at conferences, other links and relations with the academic and scientific communities include reviewing activity for many Journals in the field of Production Engineering and Innovative Production Processes, with a specific focus on laser technology (e.g. Optics and Laser Technology, Optics and Lasers in Engineering; Applied Surface Science; Journal of Material Processing Technology; Materials Science and Engineering: A).
Prof. Romoli is coordinator and Head of the Scientific Advisory Board of two European projects that include companies and scientific institutions from Europe and Israel.
Prof. Romoli is author of about 60 publications in international journals or proceedings of international conferences. The majority of these are related to laser-based processes and published in peer-reviewed Journals in the first and second quartile (Q1, Q2).
Outstanding technical expertise and technology transfer to industry
Prof. Romoli has been, or is currently, responsible for the following industrial collaboration that have achieved outstanding technical accomplishments:
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Continental Automotive Italy and manager of research and development for laser-based processes.
Technical engineering accomplishments: laser welding of stainless steel components in a constraint configuration. Modelling and validation of joint performance and analysis of the influence of the mixing ratio of dissimilar steels. Development of a laser micro-drilling strategy for the production of high-pressure injector nozzles. Standardization of a tailored microscopy technique based on shear force to measure the inner surface of machined microholes. Surface texturing to vary the wettability and spray efficiency of fuel nozzles. 2006-on going.
- Head of research unit in the project “New paradigms for designing, construction and functioning of machines for the agrifood industry”. Coordinator SITEIA.PARMA funded within the call “POR-FESR 2014-2020 – Innovation and Research” - Action 1.2.2 Support to the realization of research projects focused on technological solutions for regional SMEs – Call for strategic industrial research focused on prioritized topics related to key-enabling technologies and strategies.
Technical engineering accomplishments: development of a process strategy to enhance the cleanliness of stainless steels component for food machinery in line with EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) guidelines.
- Scientific supervisor for collaboration between the University of Parma and Bormioli Luigi s.p.a. Glass Maker.
Technical engineering accomplishments: development of Laser-based welding techniques for glass components, 2014-on going.
- Collaboration between Posalux SA (Switzerland) and the University of Pisa.
Technical engineering accomplishments: development of a hybrid microdrilling technique conveying a pulsed laser beam in a 50 µm water jet, 2012-2013.
- Head of research unit in the Regional project POR-FESR 2008, Coordinator Benetti Macchine, funded by the Tuscany Regional Council.
Technical engineering accomplishments: development of an innovative, green and efficient method for cutting of marble blocks with chain saws.
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2020/2021
- Course year: 3 - First cycle degree (DM 270) - MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - A.Y.: 2018/2019
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2019/2020
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2018/2019
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2017/2018
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2016/2017
Anno accademico di erogazione: 2015/2016
- Course year: 2 - First cycle degree (DM 270) - MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - A.Y.: 2014/2015
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2020/2021
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2019/2020
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING A.Y. 2018/2019
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING A.Y. 2016/2017
- First cycle degree (DM 270) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING A.Y. 2015/2016
Direct laser interference patterning of stainless steel by ultrashort pulses for antibacterial surfacesYear: 2020Author/s: Peter A., Lutey A. H. A., Faas S., Romoli L., Onuseit V., Graf T.
Year: 2020Author/s: Lazzini G., Lutey A. H. A., Romoli L., Allegrini M., Fuso F.
Year: 2020Author/s: Perveen A., Lutey A. H. A., Romoli L., Cucinotta A., Selleri S.
Year: 2019Author/s: Lutey, Adrian H. A., Romoli, Luca
Year: 2019Author/s: Romoli, L., Lutey, A. H. A.